The Eotech 557.AR223 Holographic Weapon Sight (HWS) is a dedicated sight for .223 carbines with 14.5″ barrels. This HWS features a 7mm raised base with knurled cross bolt to ensure compatibility with night vision equipment and allow co-witnessing of back-up iron sights. The front of the AR223 is cantilevered to avoid the Delta ring of AR-15 type rifles and carbines. In the red-dot vs holographic debate the red dots tend to score on aiming clarity with the holographics offering a greater range of reticles. In the 557.AR223 a new aiming pattern is employed, ballistically matched to the .223/5.56x45mm NATO round from the flat-top M4 carbine. The four 1 MoA dots of the Eotech 557 enable great accuracy out to the distance at which targets can be identified. One dot is used for 0-300 metres and the others for 400, 500 and 600. To make the most of this range an Eotech G23.FTS 3x magnifier can be mounted behind the HWS. The flip to the side mount enables use of the HWS at close quarters. It can be used with Aimpoint or Eotech sights and there is little to choose in quality Aimpoint vs Eotech with the Eotech perhaps scoring slightly higher on optical quality. The NV brightness controls on the Eotech 557 have been repositioned to the left hand side to be accessible when a the 3x magnifier or rear-mounted NV are employed.
The Eotech 557.AR223 HWS employs the latest solid-state electronic technology. No less than 30 brightness levels (20 day and 10 night vision) enable the Eotech 557.AR223 to adapt to any lighting conditions. The battery check indicator, up/down brightness scrolling and (programmable) auto shutdown are controlled by an on-board microprocessor. The electronics are protected by encapsulation in a shock absorbing resin compound.
The holographic sight patterns are visible in any light, center instinctively regardless of weapon hold, and remain visible while sweeping the target area. Reticles are large and semi transparent to ensure the fastest possible engagement without obscuring the target.
The 557 Eotech HWS utilizes a fighter jet style ‘Heads-Up Display’ (HUD) that eliminates the obstructions and restricted angle of vision associated with other types of unitary power sight. The controls do not protrude from the Eotech 557.AR223’s streamlined housing and nothing obstructs the view of the target area. You keep both eyes open whilst shooting, ensuring full situation awareness and rapid engagement of emerging threats.
Partial obstruction of the window will not prevent aiming. In the unlikely event that the window is shattered the Eotech 557 .223 will remain fully functional! As long as you can see through any portion of the window, the entire aiming pattern will be visible on target and you can shoot accurately. Aimpoint vs Eotech the Aimpoint is easier to keep snow etc. off the lens due to its flip up lens caps. Lens covers for the Eotech 557 are now available, but don’t seal in quite the same way and add 3 ounces to the weight of the unit.
The Eotech 557.AR223 has been tested in the most extreme conditions and will perform consistently and reliably in any operational environment. It is proof against water, fog, shock and extremes of temperature.
This Eotech .223 HWS has been subjected to military drop tests and consistently remained operational and held its zero. Other tests utilized a recoil simulator to subject the sight to 3,500 Gs of acceleration in under 0.5 milliseconds (this approximates to mounting on a .454 Casull handgun) as well as chambers simulating various environmental conditions.
The HUD is made of 3/16″ thick, three layer, shatterproof laminate glass for extreme durability. For additional protection a rugged ‘roll bar’ hood covers the optical components of the sight.
The Eotech 557.AR223 does not project any radiation or give off any visible signature. Even Gen III night vision cannot detect any signature from this sight.
The HWS is fully compatible with all generations of Night Vision equipment and features no less than 10 night reticle brightness settings to cater for different NV equipment and conditions. A typical installation would involve a removable or swing out image intensifier behind the HWS but the Eotech 557.AR223 can also be placed behind NV devices. The HWS is highly suitable for use with head mounted NV, even with partial cheek-weld, offering the operator great flexibility in employment. NV use brings out the enormous advantage of the HWS concept, providing four times more field of view in the Eotech 557AR223 vs Aimpoint Comp M2 and ten, as opposed to four NV compatible brightness settings. These settings are accessed via buttons on the left hand sight of the HWS, allowing the NV to be mounted close to the HWS.
* Buttons on left side to work specifically with NV or magnifiers
* AA Battery model (supports Lithium or Alkaline)
* Ballistic reticle specific to .223 caliber munitions
* Compatible with Gen I-III+ Night Vision Systems (tandem operation)
* Raised 7mm base
GSA Contract: GS-07F-0182L
* Optics: Transmission holography – parallax free
* Magnification: 1x
* Eye Relief: Unlimited
* Length/Width/Height: 5.6″x2.1″x2.8″ (133x49x71 mm)
* Weight: 11.9 oz
* Temperature: -40 to 150 F (using AA lithiums); -20 to 140 F (AA Alkaline)
* Waterproof: Submersible to 33 ft depth
* Sealing: Fogproof internal optics
* Color/Finish: Non reflective black with hard coat finish
* Adjustment (per click): 0.5 MOA (1/2″ at 100 yds)
* Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MOA travel
* Mount: 1″ Picatinny (MIL-STD-1913) rail
* Return to Zero: Repeatable to 1 MOA after re-mounting
* Optical Surfaces: Anti-glare coating
* Window Dimensions: 1.20″ x 0.85″ (30 x 23mm)
* Front Window Material: 1/8″ solid glass
* Rear Window Material: Shatter resistant laminate (3/16″ thick)
* Field of View (100 yds): 30 yds (28m) at a 4″ eye relief
* Standard Reticle: AR223 BDC reticle with additional drop point dots for 400, 500, and 600 meters
* Brightness Adjustment Range: 146000:1 brightest to lowest
* Night Vision Brightness Range: 1280:1 with NV switch engaged
* Function Button Location: Left side near the rear of sight
* Power Source: 2x 1.5V AA batteries (supports lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable)
* Battery Life: 1,000 continuous hours (lithium) at nominal setting 12; 600 continuous with AA alkaline
* Brightness Settings: 30 settings with scrolling feature (10 settings for NV use)
* Auto Battery Check Indicator: Flashing reticle upon start-up
* Auto Shut-down: At 8 hrs- programmable to 4 hrs
Check the price of an Eotech 557.AR223 at Brownells, a name you can trust.
If you purchase from Brownells I will be paid an affiliate commission. This will help keep this site going and will not affect your purchase price.