The Eotech 553.A65BLK Holographic Weapon Sight (HWS) was developed after extensive testing of various red dot sights by United States Special Operations Command. USSOCOM standardized the Eotech 553.A65 (the BLK refers to the black exterior finish) as its 1X close combat optic as the SU-231/PEQ (Model 553). This red dot sight incorporates many additional features demanded by the SOPMOD Block 2 program. The Eotech 553.A65 red dot sight features a deal ARMS throw lever mount with 7mm raised base to ensure compatibility with night vision equipment and co-witnessing of iron sights. USSOCOM specified a 100% greater, 66ft submersion rating for underwater operations. A 65MoA ring/1MoA dot reticle is employed for fast centring on targets in dynamic situations. The 1 MoA dot enables great accuracy out to the distance at which targets can be identified. To extend this range by several hundred metres an Eotech G23.FTS 3x magnifier can be mounted behind the HWS. This works with Aimpoint or Eotech sights and flips to the side to enable use of the HWS at close quarters.
The Eotech 553 HWS employs the latest solid-state electronic technology. No less than 20 day/twilight brightness levels enable the Eotech 553.A65BLK to adapt to any lighting conditions. The battery check indicator, up/down brightness scrolling and (programmable) auto shutdown are controlled by an on-board microprocessor. The electronics are protected by encapsulation in a shock absorbing resin compound.
The holographic patterns are visible in any light, center instinctively regardless of weapon hold, and remain visible while sweeping the target area. Reticles are large and semi transparent to ensure the fastest possible engagement without obscuring the target.
The 553 Eotech HWS utilizes a fighter jet style ‘Heads-Up Display’ (HUD) that eliminates the obstructions and restricted angle of vision associated with other types of unitary power sight. Eotech vs Aimpoint this is a key advantage. The controls do not protrude from the Eotech 553.A65BLK’s streamlined housing and nothing obstructs the view of the target area. You keep both eyes open whilst shooting, ensuring full situation awareness and rapid engagement of emerging threats.
Partial obstruction of the window will not prevent aiming. In the unlikely event that the window is shattered the Eotech will remain fully functional! As long as you can see through any portion of the window, the entire aiming pattern will be visible on target and you can shoot accurately. Aimpoint vs Eotech the Aimpoint is easier to keep snow etc. off the lens due to its flip up lens caps. Lens covers for the Eotech 553 are now available, but don’t seal in quite the same way and add 3 ounces to the weight of the unit. …………
The Eotech 553.A65BLK has been tested by both the manufacturer and USSOCOM in the most extreme conditions and will perform consistently and reliably in any operational environment. It is proof against water, fog, shock and extremes of temperature.
The 553 HWS has been subjected to military drop tests and consistently remained operational and held its zero. Other tests utilized a recoil simulator to subject the sight to 3,500 Gs of acceleration in under 0.5 milliseconds (this approximates to mounting on a .454 Casull handgun) as well as chambers simulating extreme environmental conditions.
The HUD is made of 3/16″ thick, three layer, shatterproof laminate glass for extreme durability. For additional protection a rugged ‘roll bar’ hood covers the optical components of the sight.
The Eotech 553.A65BLK does not project any radiation or give off any visible signature. Even Gen III night vision cannot detect any signature from this sight.
The HWS is fully compatible with all generations of Night Vision equipment and features no less than 10 night reticle brightness settings to cater for different NV equipment and conditions. A typical installation would involve a removable or swing out image intensifier behind the HWS but the Eotech 553.A65BLK can also be placed behind NV devices and is highly suitable for use with head mounted NV, even with partial cheek-weld, offering the operator great flexibility in employment. NV use brings out the enormous advantage of the HWS concept, providing four times more field of view with the Eotech vs Aimpoint Comp M2 and ten, as opposed to four NV compatible brightness settings.
* All black unit
* USSOCOM standardized, Type Classified SU-231/PEQ
* Dual ARMS throw levers with 7mm raised base
* 66ft. submersion rating
* CR123 Lithium battery (if you prefer AA batteries, go for the otherwise identical Eotech A555.A65 model)
* 65MOA ring/1MOA dot reticle pattern
GSA Contract: GS-07F-0182L
* Optics: Transmission holography – parallax free
* Magnification: 1x
* Eye Relief: Unlimited
* Length/Width/Height: 4.9″x1.8″x2.8″ (124x49x71 mm)
* Weight: 12.3 oz
* Temperature: -40 to 150 F
* Waterproof: Submersible to 66 ft depth
* Sealing: Fogproof internal optics
* Color/Finish: Non reflective black with hard coat finish
* Adjustment (per click): 0.5 MOA (1/2″ at 100 yds)
* Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MOA travel
* Mount: USSOCOM requirements dictated dual quick release throw levers designed specifically for the Picatinny (MIL-STD-1913) mounting rail:
* Certain commercial variants of the MIL-STD-1913 rail specification may not be compatible with the SU-231/PEQ (M553) mounting assembly.
* The SU-231/PEQ (M553) base consists of (2) ARMS® throw levers and is only adaptable to rails that properly accept the ARMS® design.
* Return to Zero: Repeatable to 1 MOA after re-mounting
* Optical Surfaces: Anti-glare coating
* Window Dimensions: 1.20″ x 0.85″ (30 x 23mm)
* Front Window Material: 1/8″ solid glass
* Rear Window Material: Shatter resistant laminate (3/16″ thick)
* Field of View (100 yds): 30 yds (28m) at a 4″ eye relief
* Standard Reticle: 65MOA circle with quadrant ticks with 1 MOA aiming dot
* Brightness Adjustment Range: 146,000:1 brightest to lowest
* Night Vision Brightness Range: 1280:1 with NV switch engaged
* Power Source: 2 x 123 lithium batteries
* Battery Life: 1100 continuous hours at nominal setting 12
* Brightness Settings: 30 settings with scrolling feature (10 settings for NV use)
* Auto Battery Check Indicator: Flashing reticle upon start-up
* Auto Shut-down: At 8 hrs- programmable to 4 hrs
Check the price of an Eotech 553 at Brownells, a name you can trust.
Full disclosure: If you purchase from Brownells I will be paid an affiliate commission. This will help keep this site going and will not affect your purchase price.