The Eotech 516.A65/1 Holographic Weapon Sight (HWS) red dot sight is intended for law enforcement or sporting use where Night Vision capability is not required, but where the use of a 3X magnifier is desired. The 516.A65 red dot sight features a 7 mm raised base allow the co-witnessing of back-up iron sights. It is secured to the Picatinny or Weaver rail with knurled cross bolt that requires no tools. The front of the Eotech 516 HWS is cantilevered to avoid the Delta ring of AR-15 type rifles and carbines. It is equpped with a 65 MOA circle aiming pattern with a central 1 MOA dot. The circle allows fast target acquisition and shot placement and the dot enables precision as far out as the target can be identified. To make the most of this range an Eotech G23.FTS 3x magnifier can be mounted behind the HWS. This is compatible with Aimpoint or Eotech sights, flips to the side to enable use of the 516 Eotech HWS at close quarters. There is little difference in quality Eotech vs Aimpoint. The buttons on this holographic red dot sight have been repositioned to the left hand side to be accessible when a the 3x magnifier is employed.
The Eotech 516.A65/1 HWS employs the latest solid-state electronic technology. No less than 20 brightness levels enable the Eotech 516.A65 to adapt to any day/twilight lighting conditions. The battery check indicator, up/down brightness scrolling and (programmable) auto shutdown are controlled by an on-board microprocessor. The electronics are protected by encapsulation in a shock absorbing resin compound.
The holographic patterns are visible in any light, center instinctively regardless of weapon hold, and remain visible while sweeping the target area. Reticles are large and semi transparent to ensure the fastest possible engagement without obscuring the target.
The Eotech 516.A65/1 Holographic Weapon Sight utilizes a fighter jet style ‘Heads-Up Display’ (HUD) that eliminates the obstructions and restricted angle of vision associated with other types of unitary power sight. Eotech vs Aimpoint this is a key advantage. The controls do not protrude from the Eotech 516.A65/1’s streamlined housing and nothing obstructs the view of the target area. You keep both eyes open whilst shooting, ensuring full situation awareness and rapid engagement of emerging threats.
Partial obstruction of the window will not prevent aiming. In the unlikely event that the window is shattered the Eotech will remain fully functional! As long as you can see through any portion of the window, the entire aiming pattern will be visible on target and you can shoot accurately. Aimpoint vs Eotech, the Aimpoints are easier to seal with lens caps due to their tubular construction, however lens covers for the Eotech 516 are now available.
The Eotech 516.A65/1 has been tested in the most extreme conditions and will perform consistently and reliably in any operational environment encountered in law enforcement or sporting use. It is proof against water, fog, shock and extremes of temperature.
The HWS has been subjected to military drop tests and consistently remained operational and held its zero. Other tests utilized a recoil simulator to subject the sight to 3,500 Gs of acceleration in under 0.5 milliseconds (this approximates to mounting on a .454 Casull handgun) as well as chambers simulating extreme environmental conditions.
The HUD is made of 3/16″ thick, three layer, shatterproof laminate glass for extreme durability. For additional protection a rugged ‘roll bar’ hood covers the optical components of the sight.
The Eotech 516.A65/1 does not project any radiation or give off any visible signature.
* Buttons on left side of sight (not in back) to work specifically with magnifiers
* CR123 Lithium batteries for long battery life
* Reticle: 65 MOA ring with a single 1 MOA dot
* Raised 7mm base with knurled cross bolt
* Interfaces to 1″ Picatinny (MIL-STD-1913) rail
* Optics: Transmission holography – parallax free
* Magnification: 1x
* Eye Relief: Unlimited
* Length/Width/Height: 5″x2.1″x2.8″ (127x53x71 mm)
* Weight: 11.9 oz (372 grams)
* Temperature: -40 to 150 F
* Waterproof: Submersible to 10 ft depth
* Sealing: Fogproof internal optics
* Color/Finish: Non reflective black with hard coat finish
* Adjustment (per click): 0.5 MOA (1/2″ at 100 yds)
* Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MOA travel
* Mount: 1″ Picatinny (MIL-STD-1913) rail
* Return to Zero: Repeatable to 1 MOA after re-mounting
* Optical Surfaces: Anti-glare coating
* Window Dimensions: 1.20″ x 0.85″ (30 x 23mm)
* Front Window Material: 1/8″ solid glass
* Rear Window Material: Shatter resistant laminate (3/16″ thick)
* Field of View (100 yds): 30 yds (28m) at a 4″ eye relief
* Reticle: 65MOA ring with a single 1MOA aiming dot
* Brightness Adjustment Range: 146,000:1 brightest to lowest
* Night Vision Brightness Range: NA
* Function Button Location: Left side near the rear of sight
* Power Source: 2x 3.0V Lithium 123 batteries
* Battery Life: 1,000 continuous hours (lithium) at nominal setting 12
* Brightness Settings: 30 settings with scrolling feature
* Auto Battery Check Indicator: Flashing reticle upon start-up
* Auto Shut-down: At 8 hrs- programmable to 4 hrs
Check the price of an Eotech 516.A65/1 at Brownells, a name you can trust.
Full disclosure: If you purchase from Brownells I will be paid an affiliate commission. This will help keep this site online and will not affect your purchase price.